As there have been a number of important trials presented and simultaneously published today at the annual ESICM congress, I thought it was worthwhile sending out an additional newsletter. In addition to the TARGET, MIND-USA, and EOLIA (a Bayesian re-analysis) trials, the BREATHE trial, presented at #CCR18 last January, has been published in JAMA.
To top it off, we have another great trial to add to the #CCR19 programme. Today, Prof Anthony Gordon and his team published an exciting paper on the use of artificial intelligence to guide sepsis management in Nature Medicine. There is likely to be another additional newsletter on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on how many more trials are published this week in Paris.
- Full Text: The TARGET Investigator. Energy-Dense versus Routine Enteral Nutrition in the Critically Ill. N Engl J Med 2018;epublished October 22nd
- Full Text: Girard. Haloperidol and Ziprasidone for Treatment of Delirium in Critical Illness. N Engl J Med 2018;epublished October 22nd
- Editorial: Bleck. Dopamine Antagonists in ICU Delirium. N Engl J Med 2018;epublished October 22nd
- ESICM interview with commentator Carl Waldmann (UK)
EOLIA - Bayesian Reanalysis
- Full Text: Goligher. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Posterior Probability of Mortality Benefit in a Post Hoc Bayesian Analysis of a Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2018;epublished October 22nd
- Editorial: Lewis. Time for Clinicians to Embrace Their Inner Bayesian. Reanalysis of Results of a Clinical Trial of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. JAMA 2018;epublished October 22nd
- ESICM interview with chief investigator Ewan Goligher (Canada)
- Full Text: Wittekamp. Decontamination Strategies and Bloodstream Infections With Antibiotic-Resistant Microorganisms in Ventilated Patients. A Randomized Clinical Trial (RGNOSIS). JAMA 2018;epublished October 22nd
- Editorial: Vandenbroucke-Grauls. Decontamination of Oral or Digestive Tract for Patients in the Intensive Care Unit. JAMA 2018;epublished October 22nd
- Full Text: Perkins. Effect of Protocolized Weaning With Early Extubation to Noninvasive Ventilation vs Invasive Weaning on Time to Liberation From Mechanical Ventilation Among Patients With Respiratory Failure. The Breathe Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2018;epublished October 22nd
- Editorial: Munshi. Weaning From Mechanical Ventilation. What Should Be Done When a Patient’s Spontaneous Breathing Trial Fails? JAMA 2018;epublished October 22nd
Artificial Intelligence in Sepsis
- Full Text: Komorowski. The Artificial Intelligence Clinician learns optimal treatment strategies for sepsis in intensive care. Nature Medicine 2018;epublished October 22nd
I hope you find these links useful.
Until tomorrow or Wednesday.
Supported by the Health Research Board