Welcome to the 185th Critical Care Reviews Newsletter, which is coming to you from Chicago, where the entire FOAMed world has gathered for the SMACC conference. It's the smallest newsletter in about 2.5 years due to the perfect storm of preparation and travel for SMACC and, I'm delighted to announce, the final touches being put to the first articles from our brand new genuinely open access journal, Critical Care Horizons.
I haven't got round to putting this week's Topic of the Week together, but will do so some time later tonight. If you're in Chicago this week, please say hi.
- Abstract: Deye. Endovascular versus External Targeted Temperature Management for Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Patients: A Randomized Controlled Study. (ICEREA Study). Circulation 2015;epublished June 19th
- Abstract: Thome. Permissive hypercapnia in extremely low birthweight infants (PHELBI): a randomised controlled multicentre trial. Lancet Respir Med 2015;epublished June 15th
- Abstract: Salminen. Antibiotic Therapy vs Appendectomy for Treatment of Uncomplicated Acute AppendicitisThe APPAC Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2015;313(23):2340-2348
- Full Text: Cannon. Ezetimibe Added to Statin Therapy after Acute Coronary Syndromes (IMPROVE-IT). N Engl J Med 2015;372:2387-2397
- Abstract: Beca. Hypothermia for Traumatic Brain Injury in Children—A Phase II Randomized Controlled Trial. Crit Care Med 2015;43(7):1458–1466
- Abstract: Suntrup. Electrical pharyngeal stimulation for dysphagia treatment in tracheotomized stroke patients: a randomized controlled trial. Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished June 13th
- Abstract: Meurin. Colchicine for postoperative pericardial effusion: a multicentre, double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Heart 2015;epublished June 15th
- Full Text: Fiorelli. Is pre-emptive administration of ketamine a significant adjunction to intravenous morphine analgesia for controlling postoperative pain? A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg 2015;epublished June 13th
- Full Text: Horita. Impact of Corticosteroids on Mortality in Patients with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Intern Med 2015;54(12):1473-9
- Abstract: Lalu. Ultrasound-Guided Subclavian Vein Catheterization: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Crit Care Med 2015;43(7):1498–1507
- Abstract: Helmerhorst. Association Between Arterial Hyperoxia and Outcome in Subsets of Critical Illness: A Systematic Review, Meta-Analysis, and Meta-Regression of Cohort Studies. Crit Care Med 2015;43(7):1508-1519
- Abstract: Sardar. Endovascular therapy for acute ischaemic stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Eur Heart J 2015;epublished June 12th
- Full Text: Atiq. A systematic review on the accumulation of prophylactic dosages of low-molecular-weight heparins (LMWHs) in patients with renal insufficiency. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2015;epublished June 14th
- Abstract: Deltenre. Early transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in cirrhotic patients with acute variceal bleeding: a systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled trials. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015;epublished June 5th
- Full Text: Delano. Prehospital Resuscitation of Traumatic Hemorrhagic Shock with Hypertonic Solutions Worsens Hypocoagulation and Hyperfibrinolysis. Shock 2015;44(1):25–31
- Full Text: Acheampong. A positive fluid balance is an independent prognostic factor in patients with sepsis. Critical Care 2015;19:251
- Full Text: Perbet. Incidence of and risk factors for severe cardiovascular collapse after endotracheal intubation in the ICU: a multicenter observational study. Crit Care 2015;19(1):257
- Full Text: Daviaud. Timing and causes of death in septic shock. Annals of Intensive Care 2015;5:16
- Full Text: Lesieur. Withholding or withdrawal of treatment under French rules: a study performed in 43 intensive care units. Annals of Intensive Care 2015;5:15
- Andresen. Therapeutic hypothermia for acute brain injuries. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine 2015;23:42
- Finsterer. Disorders of the lower cranial nerves. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2015;6:377-91
- Di Somma. Drug Therapy for Acute Heart Failure. Rev Esp Cardiol 2015;epublished June 15th
- Sharma. An Update on Peripartum Cardiomyopathy in the 21st Century. Int J Clin Cardiol 2015;2:3
- Janz. The role of red blood cells and cell-free hemoglobin in the pathogenesis of ARDS. Journal of Intensive Care 2015;3:20
- Yoshida. The role of spontaneous effort during mechanical ventilation: normal lung versus injured lung. Journal of Intensive Care 2015;3:18
- Aokage. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for acute respiratory distress syndrome. Journal of Intensive Care 2015;3:17
- Skolnik. Unclassifiable interstitial lung disease: A review. Respirology 2015;epublished June 9th
- Hackl. Current developments in pediatric liver transplantation. World J Hepatol 2015;;7(11):1509-20
- Ahmed. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in 2015. World J Hepatol 7(11):1450-1459
- Bajwa. Endocrinopathies: The current and changing perspectives in anesthesia practice. Indian J Endocr Metab 2015;19:462-9
- Morales-Cartagena. Treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections: Importance of high vancomycin minumum inhibitory concentrations. World J Clin Infect Dis 2015;5(2):14-29
- Hubbard. The ERRor of Our Ways: Estrogen-Related Receptors are About Energy, Not Hormones, and are Potential New Targets for Trauma and Shock. Shock 2015;44(1):3-15
- Saillant. Platelet dysfunction in injured patients. Mol Cell Ther 2014;2:37
- Merchant. An Ounce of Prevention Saves Tons of Lives: Infection in Burns. Surgical Infections 2015;epublished June 2nd
- Dabu-Bondoc. Management of comorbidities in ambulatory anesthesia: a review. Ambulatory Anesthesia 2015;2:39—51
- Mallédant. What’s new in the management of severe acute pancreatitis? Intensive Care Med 2015;epublished June 16th
- Wall. A Potential Solution to the Shortage of Solid Organs for Transplantation. JAMA 2015;313(23):2321-2322
- Gostin. Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. A Global Health Challenge. JAMA 2015;epublished June 17th
- Corrêa. Arterial blood pressure targets in septic shock: is it time to move to an individualized approach? Critical Care 2015;19:264
It's SMACC week....
It's SMACC week....
It's taken over 12 months of hard work but we're finally about to publish, largely thanks to the enormous work put in by Andrew Ferguson, who has produced a tremendous website and matched this with incredibly professional pdf typesetting. This week we will release a paper per day of SMACC. Paper 1 on Wednesday is on modifications to RSI by Dr Tim Leeuwenburg. If you have a paper you'd like to write, please get in touch. We look to publish opinion pieces and state-of-the-art reviews (no case reports please). Check us out at Critical Care Horizons.
COI - I am the editor-in-chief of this new journal, but work in a voluntary capacity, as do all the editors.
I hope you find these links useful.
Until next week