Major Studies on Beta Blockade
- POISE Study Group. Effects of extended-release metoprolol succinate in patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery (POISE trial): a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2008; 371:1839–47 (abstract)
- Yang. The effects of perioperative beta-blockade: results of the Metoprolol after Vascular Surgery (MaVS) study, a randomized controlled trial. Am Heart J. 2006;152(5):983–90.
- Powell. Perioperative beta-blockade (POBBLE) for patients undergoing infrarenalvascular surgery: results of a randomized double-blind controlled trial. J Vasc Surg. 2005;41(4):602–609.
- Boersma. Predictors of cardiac events after major vascular surgery: Role of clinical characteristics, dobutamine, echocardiography, and beta-blocker therapy. JAMA. 2001;285(14): 1865–73
- Poldermans. The effect of bisoprolol on perioperative mortality and myocardial infarction in high-risk patients undergoing vascular surgery. Dutch Echocardiographic Cardiac Risk Evaluation Applying Stress Echocardiography Study Group. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:1789–1794.
- Mangano DT, Layug EL, Wallace A, Tateo I. Effect of atenolol on mortality and cardiovascular morbidity after noncardiac surgery. Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group. N Engl J Med. 1996;335(23):1713–20.