Country Codes of Practice
- A code of practice for the diagnosis and confirmation of death. Academy of the Medical Royal Colleges (UK)
- Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society. The ANZICS Statement on Death and Organ Donation (3rd Edition). Melbourne: ANZICS, 2008.
- Papadimos. Diagnosing Dying. Anesth Analg 2014;118(4):879-882
- Oram. Diagnosis of death. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2011;11(3):77-81
- Young. Brief review: The role of ancillary tests in the neurological determination of death. Can J Anesth 2006;53(6):620–627
Influence of Organ Donation
- Joffe. The ethics of donation and transplantation: are definitions of death being distorted for organ transplantation? Philos Ethics Humanit Med 2007;25:2:28.
Controversies in the Diagnosis of Death
- Monteverde. Controversies in the determination of death: perspectives from Switzerland. Swiss Med Wkly 2012;142:w13667
- Crippen. Ethics review: Dark angels – the problem of death in intensive care. Critical Care 2007, 11:202
- Bellomo. Defining the vital condition for organ donation. Philosophy, Ethics, and Humanities in Medicine 2007, 2:27
- Whetstine. Pro/con ethics debate: When is dead really dead? Critical Care 2005;9:538-542
- Doig. Brain death: resolving inconsistencies in the ethical declaration of death. Can J Anesth 2003;50(7):725–731