Welcome to the 225th Critical Care Reviews Newsletter, bringing you the best critical care research and open access articles from across the medical literature over the past seven days. It's a quiet newsletter this week, without any major trials. but still contains a large number of interesting observational studies and review articles. If you only have time to read one paper this week, try either this one, on ECMO: The next ten years, or either of these from the monthly section "Recently Made Open Access Articles from the Major Journals" on noninvasive continuous cardiac output monitoring or the uncommon case of Jahi McMath.
This week's Topic of the Week is the second part of a selection of toxicology review articles from the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, starting with a paper on the pharmacological treatment of organophosphorus insecticide poisoning in tomorrow's Paper of the Day.
- Abstract: Carrick. Intraoperative hypotensive resuscitation for patients undergoing laparotomy or thoracotomy for trauma: Early termination of a randomized prospective clinical trial. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 2016;epublished March 23rd
- Full Text: Abdellatif. Efficacy and toxicity of aerosolised colistin in ventilator-associated pneumonia: a prospective, randomised trial. Annals of Intensive Care 2016;6:26
- Abstract: Upala. Hypomagnesemia and Mortality in Patients Admitted to Intensive Care Unit: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. QJM 2016;epublished March 24th
- Abstract: Neufeld. Antipsychotic Medication for Prevention and Treatment of Delirium in Hospitalized Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc 2016;epublished March 23rd
- Abstract: Tipping. The ICU Mobility Scale has Construct and Predictive Validity and is Responsive: A Multicenter Observational Study. Annals ATS 2016;epublished March 25th
- Full Text: Veenith. Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Cerebral Ischemia and Diffusion Hypoxia in Traumatic Brain Injury. JAMA Neurol 2016;epublished March 28th
- Abstract: Linsenmeyer. Culture if spikes? Indications and yield of blood cultures in hospitalized medical patients. J Hosp Med 2016;epublished January 13th
- Full Text: Mrozek. Elevated Plasma Levels of sRAGE are Associated with Non-Focal CT-Based Lung Imaging in ARDS patients.: A Prospective Multicenter Study. Chest 2016;epublished March 23rd
- Full Text: Semler. B-type Natriuretic Peptide, Aldosterone, and Fluid Management in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Chest 2016;epublished March 23rd
- Abstract: Green. The hemostatic properties of thawed pooled cryoprecipitate up to 72 hours. Transfusion 2016;epublished March 28th
- Abstract: Bosarge. Early initiation of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation improves survival in adult trauma patients with severe acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;epublished March 30th
- Full Text: Sakr. Poor outcome is associated with less negative fluid balance in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage treated with prophylactic vasopressor-induced hypertension. Annals of Intensive Care 2016;6:25
- Abstract: Goto. Relationship Between the Duration of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Favorable Neurological Outcomes After Out‐of‐Hospital Cardiac Arrest: A Prospective, Nationwide, Population‐Based Cohort Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5:e002819
- Abstract: Chan. Long‐Term Outcomes Among Elderly Survivors of Out‐of‐Hospital Cardiac Arrest. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5:e002924
- Full Text: Hill. Long-term outcomes and healthcare utilization following critical illness – a population-based study. Critical Care 2016;20:76
- Full Text: Delaney. The influence of corticosteroid treatment on the outcome of influenza A(H1N1pdm09)-related critical illness. Critical Care 2016;20:75
- Abstract: Cronhjort. Association between fluid balance and mortality in patients with septic shock: a post hoc analysis of the TRISS trial. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2016;epublished March 31st
- Abstract: Herridge. Recovery and outcomes after the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in patients and their family caregivers. Intensive Care Med 2016;epublished March 30th
- Abstract: Villar. Age, PaO2/FIO2, and Plateau Pressure Score: A Proposal for a Simple Outcome Score in Patients With the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Crit Care Med 2016;epublished March 31st
- Lawson. Status Epilepticus in Adults: A Review of Diagnosis and Treatment. Crit Care Nurse 2016;36:62-73
- Supnet. Music as Medicine: The Therapeutic Potential of Music for Acute Stroke Patients. Crit Care Nurse 2016;36:e1-e7
- Pabisiak. Brain death criteria formulated for transplantation purposes: fact or myth? Anaesthesiology Intensive Therapy 2016;48(1):1–XXX
- Grzanka. Hypersensitivity lo local anesthetics. Anaesthesiology Intensive Therapy 2016;48(1):1–XXX
- Bartlett. ECMO: The next ten years. The Egyptian Journal of Critical Care Medicine 2016;4:7–10
- Conrad. Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The Egyptian Journal of Critical Care Medicine 2016;4:11-15
- Mendonca. Simulation for ECLS. The Egyptian Journal of Critical Care Medicine 2016;4:17-23
- Sung. Is Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenator a New Weapon to Improve Prognosis in Patients With Profound Cardiogenic Shock Undergoing Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention? Circ J 2016; 80: 572–578
- Dalala. Time to shift from contemporary to high-sensitivity cardiac troponin in diagnosis of acute coronary syndromes. Indian Heart Journal 2016;epublished March 26th
- Pasupathy. The What, When, Who, Why, How and Where of Myocardial Infarction With Non-Obstructive Coronary Arteries (MINOCA). Circ J 2016;80:11-16
- Biernawska. The influence of regional anaesthesia and local anaesthetics on cardiac repolarization. Anaesthesiology Intensive Therapy 2016;48(1):1–XXX
- Lee. Lung Ultrasound in Critically Ill Patients. Korean J Crit Care Med 2016;31(1):4-9
- Berger. Dysfunction of respiratory muscles in critically ill patients on the intensive care unit. Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle 2016;epublished March 9th
- Montravers. Current and Future Considerations for the Treatment of Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia. Adv Ther. 2016; 33:151–166
- Butt. Acute Lung Injury: A Clinical and Molecular Review. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine 2016;140(4):345-350
- Mostbeck. How to diagnose acute appendicitis: ultrasound first. Insights into Imaging 2016;7(2):255-263
- Ho. Remote ischaemic pre-conditioning for the prevention of acute kidney injury. Nephrology 2016;21:274–285
- Droege. Application of Antibiotic Pharmacodynamics and Dosing Principles in Patients With Sepsis. Crit Care Nurse 2016;36:22-32
- El-Menyar. Traumatic injuries in patients with diabetes mellitus. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2016;9:64-72
- Jose. Management of maxillofacial trauma in emergency: An update of challenges and controversies. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2016;9:73-80
- Bartlett. β-Blocker and Calcium Channel Blocker Poisoning: High-Dose Insulin/Glucose Therapy. Crit Care Nurse 2016;36:45-50
American Journal of Respiratory Medicine
- Weibel. On the Tricks Alveolar Epithelial Cells Play to Make a Good Lung. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015;191(5):504-513
- Le Guennec. Diffuse Cerebral Microbleeds after Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015;191(5):594-596
- Chemla. Systolic and Mean Pulmonary Artery Pressures : Are They Interchangeable in Patients With Pulmonary Hypertension? Chest 2015;147(4):943–950
- Luce. The Uncommon Case of Jahi McMath. Chest 2015;147(4):1144-1151
- Murphy. ICU Director Data : Using Data to Assess Value, Inform Local Change, and Relate to the External World. Chest 2015;147(4):1168-1178
- Should Radiation Dose From CT Scans Be a Factor in Patient Care? 872-879:
- Banauch. A 39-Year-Old Woman With Palpitations and Dyspnea. Chest 2015;147(4):e137–e139
- Gandhi. A 66-Year-Old Woman With Fever, Cough, and a Tongue Lesion. Chest 2015;147(4):e140–e147
- Purdon. Clinical Electroencephalography for Anesthesiologists: Part I: Background and Basic Signatures. Anesthesiology 2015;123:937-960
- Rathmell. Neosaxitoxin versus Traditional Local Anesthetics: Mechanism of Action and Sites of Notable Effect. Anesthesiology 2015;123:A23
- Waters. A Different Perspective on Transfusion Requirements in Surgical Oncology Patients. Anesthesiology 2015;123:966-967
- Xue. Association of Postoperative Transfusion Strategy with Short-term Outcomes in Surgical Oncology Patients. Anesthesiology 2015;123:967-968
- Sharifpour. Adding a New Piece to the Transfusion Puzzle in Oncologic Surgery Patients. Anesthesiology 2015;123:968-969
- Hall. Transfusion Threshold Trials: The Need to Establish a Clear Difference in Transfusion Practice between Study Groups. Anesthesiology 2015;123:970-971
- von Heymann. Liberal Transfusion Practice or Perioperative Treatment of Anemia to Avoid Transfusion?Anesthesiology 2015;123:971-973
- Vincent. In Reply. Anesthesiology 2015;123:973-974
Anesthesia & Analgesia
- Mittnacht. Ventricular Tachycardia Ablation: A Comprehensive Review for Anesthesiologists. Anesth Analg 2016;120(4):737-748
- Barry. Anesthetic Management During Cardiopulmonary Bypass: A Systematic Review. Anesth Analg 2016;120(4):749-769
- Gordon. Administration of Parenteral Prophylactic Beta-Lactam Antibiotics in 2014: A Review. Anesth Analg 2016;120(4):877–887
- Loftus. The Dynamics and Implications of Bacterial Transmission Events Arising from the Anesthesia Work Area. Anesth Analg 2016;120(4):853-860
British Journal of Anaesthesia
- Saugel. Noninvasive continuous cardiac output monitoring in perioperative and intensive care medicine. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(4):562-575
- Sentilhes. Tranexamic acid for the prevention and treatment of postpartum haemorrhage. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(4):576-587
- Ward. Difficult decisions. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(4):706
- Brindley. Do not resuscitate and the intensive care unit: time to talk. Br J Anaesth 2015;114(4):706-707
- Does the United States Need More Intensivist Physicians? Chest 2016;149(3):625-630:
- Kim. Recent Trend in Therapeutic Hypothermia and Early-Onset Pneumonia in Cardiac Arrest. Korean J Crit Care Med 2016;31(1):1-3
- Spijkstra. Respiratory physiotherapy to prevent infections 2016. Neth J Crit Care March 2016;24(2):4-5
- Casarett. The Science of Choosing Wisely — Overcoming the Therapeutic Illusion. N Engl J Med 2016; 374:1203-1205
- Lo. Federal Research Regulations for the 21st Century. N Engl J Med 2016;374:1205-1207
- van Mook. The ‘renewed’ European Diploma in Intensive Care examination: an evidence-based change. Neth J Crit Care March 2016;24(2):11-5
- Chao. Pulmonary air embolism. QJM 2016;109(4):283-284
- Zhao. de winters ECG changes and anterior myocardial infarction. QJM 2016;109(4):269-271
- Vink. A secondary left-sided bilothorax after a car accident. Neth J Crit Care March 2016;24(2):32-3
- Verbree. Tricyclic antidepressant poisoning: cardiovascular and neurological toxicity. Neth J Crit Care March 2016;24(2):16-9
The Irish Critical Care-Clinical Trials Group (ICC-CTG) host a two hour meeting in conjunction with the Intensive Care Society of Ireland Annual Meeting in the AVIVA Stadium on Saturday June 11th and two Clinical Research Foundation Workshops on Sunday June 12th & Monday June 13th. A distinguished international panel of guests will be present to demonstrate how a CTG functions and what each unit needs to know. In addition, this meeting provides the opportunity to network and keep up to speed with the ICC-CTG's current and future trials portfolio.
A networking dinner will be hosted on Monday 13th June in Sophie's Restaurant at The Dean Hotel. These meetings will be immediately before SMACC Dub and may also be of interest to those visiting Dublin. The registration fee is €50 and includes lunch & refreshments throughout the day. Book before 1st May to avail of the Early Bird option of €30 (limited availability).
Please contact Louise at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the meeting and meal.
The Summer Scientific Meeting of the Intensive Care Society is on Saturday June 11th at the Aviva Stadium, the home of Irish Rugby and Soccer. The theme is toxicology and features several of the SMACC faculty who will be in town that weekend. Registration hasn't yet opened, but the meeting programme is available here.
The 13th Annual Critical Care Symposium is on April 28th and 29th in Manchester Town Hall, England. This meeting aims to bring together world renowned speakers for a conference outside London and to provide a conducive environment allowing informal discussion. Most importantly, this event provides good quality education covering various topics in Intensive Care at an affordable price.
The 9th UK Critical Care Research Forum is being held on 23rd – 24th June 2016 at the Sage Gateshead, with over 20 research proposals as well as sessions on adaptive trial design, international collaborations in critical care trials and patient-centred research. There is also a Forum dinner at the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. Registration is now open.
Critical Care Horizons is a fresh new voice in the critical care literature, offering thought-provoking, cutting-edge commentary and opinion papers, plus state-of-the-art review articles. The journal is free to publish with and free to read, opening authorship opportunity to all. The energetic editorial board consists of a deliberate mix of clinicians active in social media and world renowned academics, all driven by a desire to improve the care we offer our patients, and operate without financial gain or incentive. If you have an idea for a paper, and can say it in an engaging manner, please get in touch. We also need peer reviewers.
COI - I am the editor-in-chief of this new journal, but work in a voluntary capacity, as do all the editors.
I hope you find these links useful.
Until next week